Saturday, April 26, 2014

What is your soul food?

Being too tired by work?
Feeling like something is missing?
It is time to touch your soul..I'm not going to write about spirituality, I will write about my soul food, or my soul pot.

When I feel like needing some relieving, I eat my home country's food.
As I  am originally from Japan, rice and noodles are my soul food.

When I make rice,
I don't use a rice cooker.
Instead of it, I use a Japanese cray pot.
I used to work at a local western style restaurant in Canada, making rice was one of my job duties.
When I started the job, I didn't know very well that how to make rice with a pot and other chefs made fun of me (everybody was like a friend).
So, I practiced to make good rice with a pot at home.
I could use a regular pot, but I remember that someone said the cray pot is better than metal one and I tried, it was true.The rice had much better moisture and the texture was perfect.
Since then, I always use a cray pot when I cook rice at home.

Everyone might not have it in western world, of course..But in Japan, this is one of a popular items in our kitchen.
Most people uses it for hot pot and stews.
I've made mejardra (meddle eastern lentil stew) with the pot and it turned to be better than using a metal pot.
So, I think the cray pot works for many type of cooking.

Even though there are few miner cracks on the bortom, I can use it. Starch from rice fixes them.

Recipe
Rice 1 cup
Water 1 cup * basically same amount of rice, you can add slight extra amount, dependent on type of rice, and your stove's heat.Try and see.
*If you like brown rice, soak them in a water over night.White rice : don't need to be soaked.

Put rice and water in a cray pot and put the lid on, bring it to be boiled with high heat.
When the water reached really high like bubble comes up, change the heat to middle, slight slide the lid to get the steam out of the pot.
Leave it for 15 min and when all the water is gone and the rice look like shine and moist,
put the lid on to steam the rice for 10-15 min.This steaming is really important for perfect rice.




Looks like a UFO?
My long time kitchen friend.

The crack on the bottom.Still she does good jobs.






Perfect!






No comments:

Post a Comment